Today I celebrate another birthday. It’s a privilege to be alive and healthy to witness yet another birthday. I am grateful and thankful to God because it’s by His grace that I live to see another day–another year.
A lot have transpired in the last 365 days, so much so that few weeks ago I wished to skip my birthday this year (you know, postpone it till next year & pretend like the universe skipped the date), but through it all I live to praise His name. The disappointments, failure, set-backs, challenges, etc have all shaped the individual that I’m becoming. I learn from them and continue to use them to cultivate myself.
I overcame so many fears, that looking back it sounds silly that I was once afraid.
I took calculated risks that I never taught I was bold enough to make.
I tried many new things that I’m glad I got the oppurtunity to do so.
The last 365 days has taught me:
- Don’t limit yourself. Those things you never imagined doing could just be your saving grace…the start to new opportunities and outreache
- Celebrate yourself. Family and friends won’t always be available to celebrate you. So you must learn to be comfortable and able to celebrate you. Celebrate your ‘little’ growth and progress. Because, frankly, no one knows like you do how much time and hard-work was invested to achieve your current status.
- Do it afraid. This previous post sums it up. Do It Afraid. Literally, do it while afraid. You can’t let fear hinder you.
- Embrace life detours. The thing about our limited human minds is that we plan so much only for the time to come and nothing goes as plan. Embrace and accept the detour and remind yourself the end goal.
- Enjoy the journey to a long term goal. The journey is where all the refining and magic happens. You miss out on the mental, physical, emotional, & spiritual growth when you whine and nag so much about how long it’s taking you to achieve your goal. See each day as a stepping stone to your end goal. Don’t be too fixated on arriving, enjoy the ride.
- It’s okay to be alone, as long as you’re not lonely.
- It’s okay to let go, especially when you have tried several times to amend what was broken. A band-aid doesn’t stop the bleeding, it only soaks it up. Know when enough is enough.
- Your love, energy, kindness, support, loyalty, & etc may not always be reciprocated and appreciated, and that’s okay. But don’t let that change you–instead redirect it to those that do.
- Enjoy & appreciate each moment because the friends you have today could become strangers tomorrow, and the strangers you knew not could become your beloved. Life is fickle.
- Protect your peace at all cost.
I give God the glory because, truly, where my human strength failed me, His strength took over. He was literally looking out for me and guiding my footsteps. His grace travelled with me always. His strength never left me. For all the hours and minutes of 365 days, He was and still is with me.
To God be the glory.
Happy birthday to me! 🎊💃🎉🎂🎈
To all my May babies, I celebrate with you. Happy birthday to all the celebrant of the best month ever. If you disagree, plead your case, although, I don’t promise i’ll read them. 😜😎
Leave a Reply